Sunday, January 29, 2023

Laying Low

Jon spent a second full day in bed. If he doesn't feel better by tomorrow, we will get some attention. Less fever, still coughing, feeling miserable. I spent most of the day nudging him to drink.  

I did walk to the store by myself and buy a bottle of Sprite (they don't seem to have ginger ale here), in an effort to find something more enticing.  Spent most of the morning reading and writing. We did laundry. In the middle of the afternoon I took my cane and went to walk around the block, which ended up being one of the longer walks in my recent history. I didn't get lost, and on my walk I saw all the places we have been to in the last few days : Mika's playground, yesterday's lunch site, the park, the supermarket, the walking path between B/Y's house and the street with the nice trees. Jon says I was gone for 45 minutes. I did have to sit down outside to cool off for a while.

In the evening, I went with Benjamin and Mika to see a dress rehearsal of the community theater musical revue that Yael is choreographing.  Yael's mom was there too, and the four of us sat in the middle of the mostly empty auditorium.  Benjamin had brought a variety of dinner options for Mika so she sat quietly and ate, clapping at the end of each number.  The singing was tuneful, the choreography was appropriate for the performers (who will undoubtedly loosen up a little in the next few weeks, once they get used to running through the whole thing without stopping a few more times) and it was a sweet production.  Not as much fun as a musical because the pieces didn't really have anything to do with each other (except that they were loosely tied together by a narrative performed by two elderly people looking back on 50 years of marriage).  The women tended to sing with more confidence and volume than the men. It was fun, and Mika was an amazing audience member for an hour and a half. Yael introduced her to the cast at intermission. Benj took her away to change her into her pajamas and she came back to watch a few more numbers. With one grandma sitting on each side of her while she stood on her chair watching the singing, she managed to slip vertically between the seat and the back. She didn't make a sound and Hedy and I had to stifle our giggles as we lifted her back out of the chair. When it was time for her to leave for bed, she clapped and yelled "Yay!" to the cast.

Poor Jon. This is not how he wants to spend his days.  Tomorrow we will get some help. Yael's dad is a doctor who can help us navigate.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment